The Magical Blue Feather

The Magical Blue Feather

Tuesday 3 March 2015

Half Term Thoughts

Half Term Thoughts

In just 4 sessions, I can feel my style has already changed - I am much more relaxed.

With Chanticleer & Pertelot I did not feel the need to to study and rehearse the story. I simply made sure I knew the bare-bones, fixed them as a series of images in my head, and made sure I had found some attractive soft props - then I trusted that I would be able to improvise the story. And it worked!

Now I am looking for more stories for this younger age group. Normally it is quite difficult to find a new story that I love and really want to share with an audience. The plot, the structure, the twist, the ending... they all matter so much. But not for this age range. The stories that are working are much simpler. They have hardly any plot, no subtle irony or humour - just good clear characters and lovable soft props/puppets.

Remembering to use my little Tibetan cymbals was a brainwave. They make a loud, magical reverberation that changes as I move them around. The sound catches the attention of even the most distracted child so that we can all be ready for the next story to start.

The children do not seem so frightening now. Of course, going in every week, I am getting to know them as individuals, which would not happen with a normal performance, but I think I will find it much easier to relate to such little ones from now on.

Already I am planning how to use this new skill in a public performance. My thoughts so far... when the session has been publicised as being for adults and older children and yet there are several tiny tots in the audience, I will explain that the first two stories will be special ones for the youngest listeners. After that, the stories will be for the rest of the audience. The tots will be welcome to stay if they are interested, but if they become restless or unhappy, then I would hope the parents would let them leave.


No comments:

Post a Comment